Saturday, March 1, 2008

A house, a car and a boat....

Why is it those three things are considered the ultimate goal in the quest for success? I'll admit, it'd be nice to have those three things...again. (Not that I currently live in a lean-to, or have to hoof it everywhere, or use a log to cross a stream.) But I also have an interest in actual happiness, too. That corporate rat race, that keeping up with the Joneses - I'm so over it.

I get an email with daily inspirations...almost daily. I don't know why. I don't know why I get them and I don't know why they're called daily, when they're not.

Today's was:

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful".

Albert Schweitzer

Well stated.

While the daily inspiration emails can excite me, those ceaseless and inane promise/spam/solicitation emails I get, do not. Those guaranteeing that their business is THE ONE that will allow me to have that house, car and a boat with very little effort, just don't appeal to me. And if they did, I might have to worry about my continued sanity.

At this turning point in my life, or mid-life crisis (whatever the case may be), I think I'll choose happiness over status.

There's alot to be said for bucking the norm and refusing to conform to what everyone else believes is success. It's sort of freeing, actually.

Now, if I could just figure out what MY happiness is...

No comments: