Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cogito Ergo Sum

"Cogito, ergo sum" (Latin: "I think, therefore I am") or "Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (Latin: "I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am") is a philosophical statement used by René Descartes, which became a foundational element of Western philosophy.

I like to utilize that quote on my personals sites. Yes, I used "site" in the plural form. I find I have to spread the wealth that is me, across the broad world wide web. Discussed, ad nauseum, among friends in the same situation, we all find it is more than a little difficult to locate intelligent, humorous, thoughtful, intelligent, kind, compassionate, self-actualized, capable, intelligent, professional, educated, strong, loyal and intelligent people to date. Just to date! Not even commit to - just date, for crying out loud.

Now, because I defined it, you don't have to look it up. But as my first test for worthy communication, I defy the women on those sites to actually exert some energy to find out what it means BEFORE they contact me. It rarely happens. And because it is so obvious that they don't bother, I have to keep myself from responding with some sarcastic or caustic comment to deflate their naively overdeveloped egos that prompt them to go ahead and contact me.

Now I'm not saying I'm "all that". I make it sound like I have a naively overdeveloped ego. I just actually try to have meaningful and genuine interaction with others of like mind (regardless of what certain DNA-related people think).

I'm choosy when it comes to sharing myself. I can't afford not to be.

So all I ask is, think, before you speak!

No comments: